Wednesday 27 March 2013

Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror #1) by Karina Halle




With all the vampire, werewolf and faerie books out there, it's easy to become numb to all things supernatural. The antidote? Darkhouse introduces two real and unforgettable characters, Perry Palomino & Dex Foray, amateur ghost hunters who are "attractive, relatable and oddly heroic," "flawed but loveable," "slightly crazy" and just the most endearing pair to ever tackle the paranormal...just don't call them normal.

Darkhouse is a thrilling and sexy new take on concepts like Supernatural and The X-Files, bringing a breath of fresh air to a genre that has been inundated with the dead.

***Darkhouse and the Experiment in Terror series is a horror/romance for mature audiences only. Readers who are easily offended by harsh language should think twice about reading it.**

  • Genre: Paranormal, Horror, Supernatural, Mystery
  • Creatures: ghosts
  • Age: new adult, adult
  • Source: owned ebook 
  • Read from March 03 to 07, 2013
     

FINAL RATING: ★★★☆/★★★★★



BUDDY READ WITH VILDA ♥♥♥ It was fuuuuuuuun

CHECK OUT MY PARTNER'S IN CRIME aka VILDA'S REVIEW ♥


“We need you to be scared.”
“Why do I have to be? How come you aren’t afraid?”
“Because I find life to be scarier than death,” he replied matter-of-factly."


Hm... I don't know if i expected too much of this book, or if it was something else. I liked it, it was really cool, and it has strong lead character - which is something i appreciated, but i felt that there was something missing. And i have no idea what.

So, the original rating would be 4 - because of Perry, but since i heard that other books were so much better than the first one, i dropped it to 3.5.

Anyway, i loved the suspense, the lighthouse, the creepy level, the idea. I am quite interested in characters and i can't wait to find out more. Maybe if it was more creepier or something it would be awesome :P. I heard that sequels get better as they go, and i really can't wait to read the rest.





CHARACTERS:



Perry:

Be afraid...be very very afraid.....





“Somehow, by dealing with the dead, I had never felt so alive.”

Is unique, strong, brave, scared, hilarious, funny, fantastic, idiot, great, crazy and insane character. She went through lot in her life - or so we have been told. She was different, she took initiative, she was cunning and she is the type of person who needs to dig out what she wants to know. I am glad that she thinks with her head - she checks out the situation first before anything she does.


“Why? Because you called me up and was all like ‘Oh, hello there, little girl, do you like scary movies?’” I imitated his growly voice and talked into my hand. “‘I was hoping we could make a scary movie together; maybe then I could make some money off of ya. Hope you like to read history books at gunpoint.’”

Dex:


“Because sometimes I lie, Perry. We all lie, even you, but not everyone is brave enough to admit it.”





Dex was way to shady character - it was hard for me to figure him out. But i liked him nonetheless, and i am really interested in finding out more about him. He seems unique, he has that aura of weirdness, and i didn't expect to find out that he was (major spoiler) bipolar .(end of spoiler) It explained some things about him. Anyway, i love how he threw some random comments and facts, not to mention how charming he was.

But i still don't know what to think about him being already in relationship. How is his relationship going to work out with Perry if he already has a girlfriend? Which btw, i instanty hated - just like Perry. Now i vote for him to break up with her asap so he can be with Perry :P


Here is what I found about Dex Foray:
Activities: Music, filmmaking, video games, making up stuff on Wikipedia, booze, more stuff
Favorite Music: Metal, rock, alternative, and everything that’s missing from pop culture
TV Shows: BBC
Movies: Stuff YOU probably don’t like
Books: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Catch-22...all the stereotypes
He didn’t have a college listed under his education but he did have his high school: Bainbridge High School ‘96
Quick calculations in my head placed him at thirty-two, ten years older than I.




What is there not to like :P?

Others:

I liked Ada, she was soooooooooo interesting, even though she didn't appear much in the book. I loved her blog obsession, and she seemed to me like miny Perry. She was cute. Too bad she didn't appear more often. Matt and Tony were crazy and their father, Al, aka Perry's uncle was nice too. I liked Perry's parents as well :D There were more characters but i do wish those mentioned before appeared a little bit more.






FAVORITE QUOTES:




“I hate bullshitters; you can never bullshit them.”
***
“OK?”
“That’s the spirit! Now we are cooking with gas!”
“You’re not drunk right now, are you?”
***
“You’re not having anything?” He pointed at me with the fork.
“I don’t like pie,” I said feebly. That wasn’t true, but I don’t know why I lied.
“You don’t like pie? What kind of person doesn’t like pie?” He laughed. He reached forward and actually poked me in the arm with the fork. Lightly, but still. “You can’t be trusted.”
I instinctively batted the fork away from me. “You’re the one with the fork.”
He opened up my hand and placed the fork in it. “Now you have the fork.”
He sat back in his chair, looked down at his writing and thoughtfully scratched his sideburns. And just like that, it was—
“I just want you to enjoy the pies in life, Perry,” he shot in. “That’s all.”
“I enjoy...pies,” I managed to say. I wasn’t about to charm him with my wit, that’s for sure.
“Pies are a metaphor,” he said quickly. He exhaled.
***
“We should probably have a safety word too,” he said.
“A safety word? Like in S&M?”
His eyes flashed, animated and bright. “The safety word is ‘Jell-O’.”
God help me if I ever had to say “Jell-O” for any reason.
***
“You’d think,” he joked, “but she just nags me to go to the gym. Have you ever been to a gym? It’s the gayest shit ever. I went for the first six months of us dating until I got tired of paying someone to torture me.”
***
(spoiler) *After doc sees bruises on her neck*
I had to think quickly. “Sexual asphyxiation. You ever tried it? You should.”
Though my head my tilted back and I couldn’t see Jesse’s face, I know he was shocked. In fact, I could tell he looked over at Dex for an explanation. I hoped Dex would throw the attendant off this trail.
“It’s a little game we play,” Dex said, his voice laced with subtle sarcasm. I wanted to high-five him for his answer. “You know how it is.”
(end of spoiler)




OVERALL



I enjoyed this book, i really did. I loved the characters, loved the setting and i would definitely recommend it to horror lovers. This may be right thing for ya :D

Edit: read five books of EIT:

THIS IS JUST A BEGINNING OF THE SERIES, ALL OF THE BOOKS AFTER THIS ONE ARE FANTASTIC. READ THIS SERIES, YOU WON'T REGRET IT :)

MY REVIEW ON GOODREADS

 

You can also check out my wonderful co-blogger's review:

Georgia's Review

 

No comments:

Post a Comment