Wednesday 15 May 2013

Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning



In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves.

Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman haunting her dreams?
More important, who is Mac herself and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card?

From the luxury of the Lord Master's penthouse to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac's journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and to make a choice that will either save the world . . . or destroy it.
  • Genre: Urban fantasy, Paranormal,  Supernatural, Dystopia, Romance, Magic, Dark
  • Creatures: Fae
  • Age: adult
  • Source: owned ebook 
  • Read from October 10 to 11, 2012

FINAL RATING: ★★★★★★/★★★★★






Karen Marie Moning knows how to shock people. Really. I think there were hundred plot twists in this book. Unlike in previous ones. Wow.

Darkfever by `Eireen

Anyway, this whole series up to the fifth book were just awesome. Also, unique. Darkfever was just an intro, and i know why it was so-so to some people. When you look at the whole book, there isn't much going on. The main point happens after the end of the 3rd book - Faefever, which had one hell of a cruel ending. As well as Dreamfever, which also had one hell of a shocker in the end. I especially loved Shadowfever because everything was revealed. Hell yeah. And i loved the revelations.

Shadowfever is a type of book who leads you to think something, assume things, and then it all goes BOOM, you were wrong. i had many theories about who Barrons is and what he is, but it was revealed in Dreamfever, while everything-but still not everything was said in this one.

*minor spoilers - but serious spoilers under spoiler tags*




CHARACTERS:


MacKayla :


MacKayla was one of the rare female characters i LOVE, not like, as i do for some rare ones, but i actually love love her. I find her character amazing, she thinks, she chooses, she knows when she is being used and always tries to use the using to her advantage. She is strong, she can make decisions which are not something that anyone would choose.

I actually hated the part of the book,which was the beginning, when she chose to ally herself with Darroc and that part of the book just pissed me off. Even when it was clear that it was pissing her off as well and that she had to do it. Thank god that someone interfered in her plan. And that somebody is -major spoiler BARRONS!!! I knew he wasn't dead, because it would make whole thing go to hell. .
Ohhhh, and it was pretty big shocker that the beast from the end of the fourth book was actually Barrons, who has, sadly, died and i felt depressed.But still, she felt like he died for her, and she faced such guilt and grief which made her choose the wrong side.

“I hate fate. I don’t believe in her. Unfortunately, I think the bitch believes in me.”

I also loved her imaginarry conversations with Barrons, it usually made me laugh a lot. Haahahaha, Karen, great job on making true kick ass heroine.
I don't have any idea what to wear anymore, so I tried to cover all bases."
"Try skin."
"Little chilly for that."
We looked at each other across the coffee table.
His eyes didn't say, I'd heat you up, and mine didn't say What are you waiting for? He didn't reply, Fuck if I'm making the first move, so I was careful not to say, I wish you would, because I can't, because I'm... and he didn't snap ...choking on your pride?!
"As if you aren't."
"Excuse me?"
"Really Barrons," I said drily. "I'm not the only one who didn't just not have that conversation, and you know it."
There was the faint, sexy lift of his lip. "You're a piece of work, Ms. Lane."
"Right back at you.


This is Mac, she is sometimes sexually frustrated. Seriously.

Major major spoilers *read on your own risks, they are pretty serious: At first, we thought she was concubine, then the Unseelie king, then the part of the unseelie king, and in the end she was Sinsar Dubh, that is, part of the sinsar dubh. Wow, what a ride of guess what Mac is.
“One day you do meet a man who kisses you and you can’t breathe around it and you realize you don’t need air. Oxygen is trivial. Desire makes life happen. Makes it matter. Makes everything worth it. Desire is life. Hunger to see the next sunrise or sunset. To touch the one you love. To try again.”

Barrons:


Isn't he something? I didn't like him in the beginning, but he did save her "petunia" way to many times. After the fourth book, i started to love him.
So, after the end of fourth book, we learn that he is shapeshifter,and that he protected her in case if she called IYD.

“Dying is overrated. Human sentimentality has twisted it into the ultimate act of love. Biggest load of bullshit in the world. Dying for someone isn't the hard thing. The man that dies escapes. Plain and simple. Game over. End of pain...Try living for someone. Through it all-good, bad, thick, thin, joy, suffering. That's the hard thing.”

Major major spoilers: I knew that he was immortal, he said he won't die and that he never will. I believed it when he said it, so i didn't believe he died, or even Ryodan. So, i am glad he finally understood that deep inside, he was carrying for Mac, and even loved her. It was obvious in Bloodfever, when she was dying. Though, he turned cold jacka$$ AGAIN!!! HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU THINK BEING COLD IS GOING TO REPEL HER FROM YOU, YOU IDIOT!!!

Anyway, the point with his son: who the hell is his mother???? it was never mentioned???? But still, i pitty his son, and the fact that he was suffering so much. Torturing child really leaves them broken and insane, and that is just how his son is. I was so sad for both Barrons and his son. It was just hard thing to ignore.  


Also, we finally got to figure out what Barrons was, even though his race has no name.
He is one of the nine, who can shapeshift into monsters, and when they die, they are reborn again to the place they died. Like the fate with his son, an enemy could be there, waiting for them to spawn again and torture them every day.

Moning certainly made a unique and new race in paranormal genre and congratz to her ♥


“He pulls me around and kisses me. "You're Mac," he says. "And I'm Jericho. And nothing else matters. Never will. You exist in a place that is beyond all rules for me. Do you understand that?"
I do.
Jericho Barrons just told me he loves me.”



Let's say this is Barrons, and the ferret was Mac.... At least that is how he treated her in previous 4 books.

P.s. In the end, what was his real name?

V'lane:


I never liked him. Never. He was too good to be true. Wait, he tried to rape her all the time. Saying it was what she wanted. Hell no.

Major major spoilers: I knew he was lying. I just new it. He was the fourth who raped Mac, he was Cruce and he freaking absored freaking book, and he was impersonating V'lane.
Poor V'lane. I knew it was fishy, way to fishy, but i didn't expect he was Cruce. And he got what he deserved.


fever: Vlane on the Beach by ~MathiaArkoniel



The Unseelie King, aka UK:


Creator of Unseelie race and also the Queen killer and the ruler which dissapeared. I loved the story behind the story. I loved the parts with Unseelie King and his concubine. I loved their love, i liked how he loved her enough to make mirrors for her, for her he gave everything. And i was just as mad for the queen who did them wrong.

Major spoilers: I knew he would be part of the DEG*dream eyed guy*. But he was actually nice, which i didn't expect. I just knew that he would never stop loving his concubine, his queen. I hope he appears more :D

Dani :


Major spoilers: Dani, Dani, after all that happened, she was the one who did it. She was the one who killed Alina. My heart broke. But it was not her fault,so.....

Rowena:


KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL. She was such a b&tch.
Major spoilers: Haha, i knew her power would be handy. And she killed Alina.


OVERALL:


Anyway, it was pretty much amazing. Though, there were things that bothered me. IF it was matriarchal system, why did Fae chose V'lane to lead. First of all, he is male, he is prince, but he is NOT a woman. That i did find wrong. And also, all women were either submissive (to Rowena), or normal like Dani and Mac. But still......

I didn't mind the faults. I cared for result, and result was more than satisfying. Which makes me think, why more books? though i am happy there will be more >:D



ANYWAY, THIS WAS FREAKING EPIC. Highly recommended :D

P.s. this is one of the cool artworks from the end of the book. . Though it is spoilerish.


MY REVIEW ON GOODREADS

 


No comments:

Post a Comment