Sunday 23 June 2013

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes



Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.
  • Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Drama
  • Age: adult
  • Source: paperback & ebook
  • Read from June 18 to 21, 2013

FINAL RATING: ★★★★★/★★★★★




“Hey Clark', he said.'Tell me something good'. I stared out of the window at the bright-blue Swiss sky and I told him a story of two people. Two people who shouldn't have met, and who didn't like each other much when they did, but who found they were the only two people in the world who could possibly have understood each other.
 I drew a world for him, a world in which he was still somehow the person he had wanted to be. I drew the world he had created for me, full of wonder and possibility.”

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● 

Life is a wonderful thing, but then again, it can also be horrible and merciless. We have been told that we are the creators of our own fates. But what happens when the fate has different plans for you? Where fate rips everything you ever loved away from you?




Not only that this book will make you cry
, it will make you laugh too.

It's not a classic love story. It's a story of LIFE and DEATH.

But it's also a story of friendship, of love.

AND LESS YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS BOOK, THE BETTER.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● 

It's a story of a woman who was afraid to live her life freely - who lived in a shell.

Louisa "Lou" Clark.



Lou lost her job recently, and her family is in chaotic position. In desperation, she accepts the job of being a care taker.

I was twenty-six years old and I wasn’t really sure what I was. Up until I lost my job I hadn’t even given it any thought. I supposed I would probably marry Patrick, knock out a few kids, live a few streets away from where I had always lived. Apart from an exotic taste in clothes, and the fact that I’m a bit short, there’s not a lot separating me from anyone you might pass in the street. You probably wouldn’t look at me twice. An ordinary girl, leading an ordinary life. It actually suited me fine.

It's a story about a man who lost everything in just one day.

William "Will" Traynor.



“I will never, ever regret the things I've done. Because most days, all you have are places in your memory that you can go to.”


Will lost everything in an accident, but worst of all, he lost the chance to live normally for the rest of his life. Because of it, he lost the will to live.

“The thing about being catapulted into a whole new life--or at least, shoved up so hard against someone else's life that you might as well have your face pressed against their window--is that it forces you to rethink your idea of who you are. Or how you might seem to other people.”

Until the day Lou appeared in his life as his care taker for six months. At first, they argue a lot. Will doesn't think Lou can handle being his care taker for that period of time, but Lou is not a person who easily gives up.

“Some mistakes... Just have greater consequences than others. But you don't have to let the result of one mistake be the thing that defines you. You, Clark, have the choice not to let that happen.”

And after a while, when Will realizes he cannot push her away like he did to everyone else, he accepts Lou for what she is. A kind person who through time reached to him and showed him that not everything is dark - that there are still choices and that life is worth living.

“I turned in my seat. Will’s face was in shadow and I couldn’t quite make it out.
‘Just hold on. Just for a minute.’
‘Are you all right?’ I found my gaze dropping towards his chair, afraid some part of him was pinched, or trapped, that I had got something wrong.
‘I’m fine. I just . . . ’
I could see his pale collar, his dark suit jacket a contrast against it.
‘I don’t want to go in just yet. I just want to sit and not have to think about . . . ’ He swallowed.
Even in the half-dark it seemed effortful.
‘I just . . . want to be a man who has been to a concert with a girl in a red dress. Just for a few minutes more.’
I released the door handle.
‘Sure.’
I closed my eyes and lay my head against the headrest, and we sat there together for a while longer, two people lost in remembered music, half hidden in the shadow of a castle on a moonlit hill.”



* Serious spoilers *

i respect Will's choice in the end, even though it broke my heart - but he finally had control over something and he chose it.

“All I can say is that you make me...you make me into someone I couldn't even imagine. You make me happy, even when you're awful.I would rather be with you- even the you that you seem to think is diminished- than with anyone else in the world.”

OVERALL:


Everything in this book felt real: the characters, the reactions of people around them, the struggles and fights they had gone through. A slow progressing romance ... where people didn't fall in love because of money or physical beauty - but a love between people who love each other for who they are. And it makes it real .


And most of all, it showed that there are still people worth fighting for. People who need help, and people who will do everything in their power to give them support.

Overall, beautiful and moving book, and i can't tell you how much i love it! Because it's realistic.



No comments:

Post a Comment